Saturday, July 26, 2008

Epazote Black Bean Burrito

Epazote Black Bean Burrito
rolled in fresh corn tortillas and served with avocado salsa and pico de gallo




I added some corn for fun here:


The Pico de Gallo:


Avocado Salsa:



The dough for the tortillas de maize:

This was so easy and absolutely delicious - from the same cookbook as last night!
(image from gourmet sleuth)

Epazote is a traditional Aztec herb used in true Mexican cooking. When I showed it to my family, they all (separately) decided it smelled and tasted like gasoline...but I thought it was more of a lemony bleach smell =)

I had read about it before, but when I saw it at a stand in Pike Place, I couldn't resist! I had never found it anywhere else, though I'm sure it could be found in a Latin market in White Center.

Don't fear the stench - it is known as skunk/stinkweed, but cooks up to a marvelous bitter lemony flavor that actually complements the beans greatly. Not to mention it has the power to reduce the gas from the beans!

I finally figured out the secret to the tortillas - more water! I think I ended up with well over the recommended amount, (about 3:2 ratio of corn to water), but a much smoother texture. They beat storebought tortillas 100:1. It's not even comparable. I hated corn tortillas until I made them fresh.

Best of all, this is dirt cheap, and even meatless, yet good!

No comments: